A NSCA-Certified Personal Trainer
is accredited by the National Commision for Certifying Agencies (NCAA). NCCA is generally held as the standard for the field. Certifying bodies must undergo comprehensive evaluation and regular renewals to maintain this accreditation.
A CSEP- Certified Personal Trainer
is a professional with, at minimum, the equivalent of 2 years of full time study (or 60 credits) of University/College coursework in specific core competency areas related to the exercise sciences from an accredited post-secondary institution. CSEP sets the highest standards for qualified exercise professionals through evidence-based practice and certification.
The CSEP Brand
"The Gold Standard in Exercise Science and Personal Training" -identifies CSEP as the scientific authority and the source of expertise in physical activity, health and fitness.
Personal Trainers are qualified to:
- Use an individual approach, perform basic health screening assessments for physical and lifestyle behaviours, to motivate and educate, then design a safe and effective exercise program.
- Administer sub-maximal aerobic fitness testing, musculoskeletal fitness (Maximal 1RM), muscualr strength, endurance, flexibility, and balance and body composition (% body fat)
- Referral based programs for post rehab clients referred by Physiotherapists, Osteopaths and insurance companies.
Personal Training Sessions
- are 1 hour in length, 1-on-1 sessions or small groups of 4-6 people with similar goals
- Sessions are pre-paid and are + HST.
- Fees are not covered any private insurance; however if you are a post rehab client, your insurance company may refer you to a personal trainer through your treating physiotherapist or osteopath
- Most employers offer a healthy life package that can cover the cost of gym memberships or use towards personal training. Ask your human resources personnel at work!
Some of the personal training programs offer:
- Weight-loss or Weight-gain
- Athletics: Running, swimming, golf, sailing, skiing (winter and summer)
- General Fitness Programs to Specialty Programs-including pre and post-natal, post rehab after physiotherapy and osteopathy treatment
- Essential Hanna Somatics